Thursday, January 08, 2015

2014 Year End Wrap-up

I read several really good books this year. In no particular order I want to mention these as among the best:

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler

Alena by Rachel Pastan

One Plus One by Jojo Moyes

The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert

Wake by Anna Hope

The Ghost of the Mary Celeste by Valerie Martin

Last year I wrote a long excuse about how much my television watching was interfering with my reading. I won’t bother you again with that line of thinking, but I will say that the situation was much the same this year. I read even fewer books but watched a lot of good TV.

In an effort to get my reading back up close to earlier levels, I signed up for the Goodreads 2015 challenge and promised to read 35 books in 2015. I plan to reach that goal by listening to more audiobooks. I had forgotten how much I like them for when I’m doing housework; they keep me going when I’m tempted to sneak off and watch some TV. I am almost finished listening to Broken Harbor by Tana French and my kitchen hasn’t been this clean in a long time.

2 comments:

LINDA from Each Little World said...

Are you actually on Good Reads? That's where I tend to post brief reviews of titles worth sharing. I read a ton this year. It much of it mysteries etc. this year I'd like to do more no -fiction. Love Moyes but have not read this one. Thought Wake was terrific but found Gilbert boring and annoying. She's a good writer but I found much of the story silly but the botany was fabulous.

Citizen Reader said...

I did not get any of the books on your list read, although I'm interested in that Jojo Moyes one...

Ugh, GoodReads. I don't know why, but I resist GoodReads. Hope you have fun doing the challenge, though! Good luck!

Post a Comment